Detroit Residential Water Assistance Program
In partnership with the Detroit Water and Sewage Department, The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW) will be distributing water assistance to income eligible Detroit residents in crisis with their water bill. Funds are limited and in order to receive assistance customers must meet the eligibility requirements listed below.
To qualify: (PLEASE NOTE: Eligibility requirements for this program are different than THAW heat/gas eligibility requirements)
- Applicant must be a Detroit resident.
- Resident must have a new water meter (AMR technology) to participate.
- Applicant must have verifiable income.
- Annual household income must be at or below 200% of the current Federal poverty level income guidelines.
- Total water bill cannot exceed the amount of $2,500.00.
- Must be a single-family residence (can be owner occupied and resident occupied) (rental units are eligible if renter is responsible for paying the bill).
- Cannot be a commercial account.
- Resident’s water must be disconnected or pending disconnection.
- Must NOT have illegal usage charges at the service address. Customer can only receive DRWAP assistance if illegal usage fees are paid in full.
- Priority will be given to seniors and eligible households of families receiving family independence program (FIP), state disability, and/or supplemental security income assistance.
- Proof of household income is required for all members 18 years of age and older for the previous 30 days. Customer MUST have verifiable income.
- Current picture identification for each household member 18 years of age and older (Michigan driver’s license, Michigan State ID).
- Verification of ages of all minor household members (report card, birth certificate, immunization records).
- Current DWSD water bill. You can obtain a printout of your bill from DWSD.
- Proof of home ownership (or if renter, lease or rental agreement must clearly indicate who is responsible for water payments).
Customers terminated from the program must wait six (6) months to be eligible to re-apply. Customers must be off of DRWAP for six (6) months to be eligible or to re-certify.
|Family Size||1 Person||2 Person||3 Person||4 Person||5 Person||6 Person|
If you feel you meet the eligibility requirements, please call: 1-877-646-2831
For additional information regarding your water bill, please visit the Detroit Water and Sewage Department website by clicking HERE.